It’s the first Friday of October, so Happy World Smile Day! It sounds as though you’ll have had lots to smile about in Italy!
This is World Smile Day in a nutshell:
- The image of World Smile Day is the smiley face 😊
- The smiley face was created by Harvey Ball back in 1963, in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- He designed it as part of a goodwill campaign during the merger of two insurance companies.
- But 1999 he was concerned that the use of the smiley face had become too commercialized, so he had the idea to use it as the symbol of a day to celebrate happiness.
- The goal of World Smile Day is for everyone to do one act of kindness that makes one person smile. And thus the world will become a happier place.
From kindness to gratitude
I was reading about something else recently that is proven to make the world a happier place – over a delicious cappuccino, as it happened – and that is the act of gratitude.
This white paper on the Science of Gratitude, published last May by UC Berkeley, cites many research studies, one of them showing that people who wrote down three things that went well over the course of one week, and identified the causes of those good things, reported increased happiness a whole six months after the intervention!
So on this World Smile Day, perhaps it’s worth us not only engaging in an act of kindness but also beginning the practice of deliberate gratitude. And to help make it a habit, how about thinking of three things for which we are grateful each morning, during the very activity that enhances a smile – brushing our teeth!
Of course the Smurfs may or may not be one of them….
Lots of love,