What is your favourite colour? This month is often associated with red – roses, ribbons, hearts and the other symbols of St Valentine’s Day. Traditionally, though, purple is February’s colour; the flower of the month is the violet and the birthstone the amethyst, said to signify peace and serenity and provide courage when needed. All of which are welcome attributes in 2022!
It certainly feels like a good month to think about adding some colour and cheer to what can be a rather dull time of year. So, today we have suggestions for five easy ways to brighten up February.
Five ways to brighten up February
- Treat yourself to some flowers – tulips are always a great choice because of their vibrant colours. For flowers or herbs to enjoy later in the year, sow some seeds to nurture on a windowsill
- Wear something in your favourite shade – a top or scarf are ideal if you are still working from home using video calls!
- Find some bright stationery and send a friend a note to see how they are
- Go for a walk somewhere with banks of flowers. In the UK, snowdrops (also known as ‘the flower of hope’) are in season until March and you can search online for the best display near you. The National Trust has a list of suggestions here
- Make a vibrant breakfast bowl with a selection of berries. You can add yoghurt, nuts, seeds and banana for a delicious and satisfying start to the day.
The few loving words had done her good, and the flowers had cheered her up by their beauty.Little Women, Lousia May Alcott
We hope you enjoy trying some of these ideas and that you might find them cheering, too. Have a safe and enjoyable time until we see you next,
Claire and Sam
P.S. There are some more ideas for ways to brighten your day here
Photos with thanks to Anete Lusina and Nicola Barts on Pexels.com