The festive season is upon us, and today we’d like to share an easy recipe that’s perfect for the time of year – sweet and salty chocolate bark, a decadent treat made with dried cranberries and salted pistachios.
sweet and salty CHOCOLATE BARK
- 16oz (450g) good chocolate, chopped – plain, semisweet, bittersweet, or white
- 8oz (200g) shelled, salted pistachios
- 4oz (100g) dried cranberries
- 4oz (100g) of any of the other variations below, if desired
- Melt the chopped chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Pour the melted chocolate on to the paper and spread into an 8x10in (20 x 25cm) rectangle
- Sprinkle the pistachios and cranberries evenly over the chocolate, and press them in lightly
- Set aside until firm, about two hours
- Cut or break the bark into about 16 pieces
- Serve at room temperature
tips & variations
- Use good chocolate chips rather than chopping chocolate bars
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Use a microwave bowl and stir every 30 seconds until just melted.
- Draw an 8×10 in (20 x 25cm) rectangle on the parchment paper, using a pencil, and turn it over so the pencil does not touch the chocolate. The pencil will be visible and give you a guide for spreading the chocolate.
- If you are in a hurry, cool the chocolate in the fridge. Just keep an eye on it as this can cause a light condensation on the surface.
The red and green of the cranberries and pistachios make for a festive look, but you can add, mix and match any of the following:
- Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans
- Dried apricots, cherries
- Candied citrus, ginger
- Coconut flakes, or shredded
- Crushed candy canes
- A little flaky sea salt
Pop the chocolate bark in a cellophane bag or pretty box* and tie it with ribbon, and you have a perfect gift for anyone on your list – that’s if you can resist eating it all yourself.
Sam and Claire
*To make your own boxes, see Nancy Birtwhistle’s post here on Instagram